Wednesday 28 July 2010

Featured in the Sotheby's Staff Exhibition!



I'm very pleased to have been able to take part in this year's Staff Exhibition at Sotheby's - a lovely 2 week event where the public (and the employees!) get a glimpse at the talent hidden behind the scenes at this famous workplace. Luckily I moved back up North late enough to still take part in this, and was completely immersed in making my pieces for the last few months before the big move!

For my main piece, me and my trusty scalpel have stepped up a notch from card cutting and went for a delicate, multi-layered 3D Papercut. Quite different from the simplistic designs of my cards, I really enjoyed creating this piece, and am very happy with how it turned out.

The cut out daisies on the white card at the front are backed with a cheery yellow paper, and on the larger daisies I then cut through this on the petals to expose a darker yellow backing, and creating a double petal effect, to give it more depth. Looking at this now with the rain coming down really cheers me up - bring back Summer!


Let me know if you'd be interested seeing something like this appear on my shops - I can't decide if I should try something, perhaps a smaller version?

This fabulous Exhibition is free, and open for the next two weeks - so if you're in London, pop in! It's got sculptures, jewellery, amazing origami using lottery tickets, painting and photography - something for everyone!
I'll show you my second piece along with some great pictures from the Preview night, and the winning piece next week, so stay tuned!

2 comments:

  1. That is beautiful. Things like that would make a gorgeous gift for sisters and girl friends - I think it would go down very well in your shop!

    ReplyDelete
  2. such a delicate elegant paper cut, definitely good for gifts on a smaller scale i think, and you could even try one or two big pieces. good luck for the rest of the exhibition, wish i lived closer to visit!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts with Thumbnails